Vegan Pea, Courgette and Coconut Soup
by Dominic Franks from DomInTheKitchen.com @DomInTheKitchen
The outside however makes for the perfect bowl for this delicious soup that all the family will enjoy this season and beyond.
This divine pea, courgette and chilli soup with a coconut stock is both warming and very quick to prepare.
Cambridge Herb & Spice Carousel
Cooking time: 45 mins
- a small knob of butter
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (or more depending on how hot you like it.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 courgette - finely chopped
- 350g frozen peas
- 1/2 litre vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
- Add some butter and olive oil to a warm pan and add the onion and celery.
- Gently sauté for about 5 mins until the onion begins to soften.
- Stir in the salt and chilli flakes, then add the courgette and the peas and stir well. Let all the veg gently sauté for another 5 mins, then pour on the stock.
- Bring it to the boil then turn it down to simmer for 10 mins.
- Then add the coconut milk and let the whole thing simmer for another 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup sit until it cools by half, then blend until smooth. I use a stick blender for this.
- Serve with some air-fried chilli croutons and some of the pumpkin seeds. Which I made by tossing some bread chunks and the leftover pumpkin seeds in a chilli oil and some more chilli flakes and then roasting for 5 mins.
Tip: I've used 2 edible mini pumpkins to serve my soup in but they can be served in regular bowls. Remember that you can freeze the pumpkins after use. Just wash them and dry them well, then wrap tightly in clingfilm. They'll be perfect to use next year.