½ cup plain flour
½ self-raising flour
¼ cup sugar
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
4tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Oil spray for greasing
Cinnamon sugar coating:
3tbsp unsalted melted butter
½ cup sugar
3tsp ground cinnamon
Chocolate & coffee dipping sauce
100g dark chocolate
4tbsp double cream
2tbsp freshly ground (or instant) coffee
1. Heat up the waffle iron.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder & soda, salt and cinnamon and mix until well incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk an egg, add vanilla extract, melted butter and milk and whisk until smooth.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well until smooth batter forms.
4. Pour the batter into the waffle iron, taking care not to overfill the waffle iron. Cook for 3-5mins (or according to the waffle iron’s manufacturer’s instructions).
5. In the meantime, prepare the cinnamon sugar coating by mixing sugar and ground cinnamon together. Place the mixture on a flat plate and set aside. When the waffles are ready, use a pastry brush to coat each side with a thin layer of melted butter. Then place the waffle on a plate with sugar & cinnamon mixture and slightly press the waffle into the sugar mixture. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the waffles.
6. To make the chocolate & coffee dipping sauce, break dark chocolate into small pieces and place into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate is melted, take the bowl off the heat and gently whisk in double cream, coffee and milk. If you prefer the sauce slightly thinner, add more milk (start with one tablespoon at a time) to reach the desired consistency.