Sea salt & dark chocolate bliss balls (vegan, gluten free)
Cook: 20 mins + chilling
For bliss balls:
11 medjool dates (about 100g), pits removed
2 x ¼ cups pecan nuts
½ cup + ¼ cup puffed quinoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
2 tbsp water
For chocolate glaze:
100g. (dairy-free) dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
2 tsp coconut oil
Sea salt flakes to decorate
To make bliss balls:
1. In a small cup, cover the dates with hot water and set aside.
2. Place pecan nuts in a food processor and pulse for 30-60 seconds until the nuts are chopped in small bits (be careful not to process until fine powder, you’ll want to keep the bliss balls slightly crunchy). Transfer into a separate bowl and set aside.
3. Drain the dates and add them to the food processor along with vanilla, maple syrup, cacao powder and water. Blend until sticky mixture forms. Add chopped nuts and puffed quinoa and blend for a further 30-60 seconds until well combined.
4. Make bliss balls by rolling the dough with your hands (allow around 1 tbsp per ball). Place the balls on a plate or a board lined with parchment paper (ensure the balls are not touching each other) and place in the fridge whilst you’re making the chocolate sauce.
To make chocolate glaze:
1. Combine dark chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl that fits snuggly in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan with 1/3 water and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl with chocolate and coconut oil on top of the pan, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir until melted.
2. Once the chocolate has melted, take the bowl off the heat and let it cool down slightly for a couple of minutes. With a teaspoon, drizzle the melted chocolate over the bliss balls, letting the chocolate run down the sides a little. Alternatively, if you’d like to coat the whole bliss ball with chocolate, gently place the ball in the bowl with the chocolate sauce, spoon the chocolate sauce all over the ball and ensure it’s coated on all sides. Gently transfer the ball back on the parchment paper.
3. Sprinkle the bliss balls with sea salt and place back in the fridge for around 5 minutes to let the chocolate layer set. Keep refridgerated.