by Sandhya Hariharan @sandhyaskitchen
When it’s springtime, its British asparagus time! With the onset of spring, it’s the best time of the year to enjoy this delicious vegetable and the pride of British growers and best purchased in the farm shop.
Roasting the asparagus brings out the fantastic flavours as the tips get a bit crispy in the oven. A little more delicious than steaming or sautéing them.
To get my kids eat asparagus, I make them these crispy cheesy Asparagus Puff Pastry Bundles. The puff pastry bundles are smothered with a layers of pesto cream cheese, asparagus and cheese. Sounds delicious, right?!
This recipe is really easy to prepare and great way to get kids involved. The only prep time involved is trimming the asparagus ends. Sharply bend the tough and woody ends, until they snap in the right place.
Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
Prep time - 10 minutes
Cook time - 25 minutes
- 320 g ready to roll puff pastry, fresh
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cheddar cheese slices
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the herb cream cheese by mixing together basil pesto and cream cheese.
- Unroll out the puff pastry sheet and cut them into 6 or 8 rectangles.
- Spread pesto cream cheese on each rectangle. Then a slice of cheddar cheese and 3-4 stalks of asparagus.
- Carefully pick the two corners of the pastry and wrap over the asparagus. Press gently to seal.
- Repeat the process with the remaining puff pastry rectangles.
- Brush each bundle with egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Transfer the puff pastry bundles to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden and asparagus is tender and roasted.
- Enjoy warm.