Gluten Free American Style Pancakes
Our guest blogger and Katrina Lander @fitnessfodmap_ guest edits this blog post for Cole & Mason UK.
The fluffiest and thickest American style pancakes that you would have no idea are gluten free! Super easy to make, and the toppings are endless… chocolate spread, lemon and sugar, maple syrup, peanut butter. For this recipe I’ve gone with pan-fried cinnamon bananas (my fav) and of course a drizzle of maple syrup.
Kitchen tools needed: Non-stick frying pan, mixing bowl
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 minutes
- 120g Gluten free plain flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- ¼ Tsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 Medium eggs
- 60ml Semi skimmed milk
- 1 Banana
- ½ Tsp light soft brown sugar
- ½ Tsp ground cinnamon - Cole & Mason Saunderton Spice Storage Shaker
- Maple syrup to serve
Method for Pancakes
Mix the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, caster sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and crack in both eggs with a little milk, whisk slowly adding in the remainder milk
- Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil (you could also use butter/cooking oil of choice) to a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot drop two to three rounds of batter, making sure the pancakes do not spread out (I used a small frying pan to cook the pancakes one at a time). Cook for a few minutes on each side until cooked, continue until the batter is gone.
Method for Pan-Fried Cinnamon Bananas
Slice the banana into thick coins, mix the brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Cover the banana coins with ¾ of the sugar/cinnamon mixture
- Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil (or butter/alternative cooking oil) to a non-stick frying pan over a low/medium heat. Cook both sides until golden, around 3-5 minutes, ensuring not to burn the banana.
- Serve on top of your pancake stack, sprinkling the remainder sugar/cinnamon all over. Finish with a drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!
- If making the pancakes individually use a preheated oven to rest your pancakes whilst the remainder are being cooked.