Our guest blogger and Katrina Lander @fitnessfodmap_ guest edits this blog post for Cole & Mason UK.
Gluten free and want to enjoy pancake day? Don’t worry I’ve got you covered! My pancake recipe is super simple and makes the fluffiest/thickest pancakes that I’m sure, gluten free or not you’ll be a fan!
I paired my pancake stack with a blueberry compote and maple syrup; however the toppings are endless… chocolate spread, lemon and sugar, banana, honey, peanut butter.
Kitchen tools needed: Non-stick frying pan, mixing bowl
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 minutes
Around 4-5 thick pancakes
- 120g Gluten free plain flour – sifted
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1Tsp ground Cinnamon - Cole & Mason Saunderton Spice Storage
- ¼ Tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch salt
- 2 Medium eggs
- 60ml Semi skimmed milk
- 80g Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tsp maple syrup
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, ground cinnamon, xanthan gum and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture, add both eggs with a little milk and whisk, gradually adding in the remainder milk until the batter is smooth.
- Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil (or cooking oil/butter of choice) to a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot drop two to three rounds of batter (I used a small frying pan and cook the pancakes one at a time). Once the pancake begins to bubble, flip it over and cook the other side until both sides are golden brown.
- Continue until the batter is gone. Stack the pancakes, topping with blueberry compote and maple syrup or toppings of choice.
Method Blueberry Compote
- In a small saucepan add all ingredients, simmer over a medium heat for around 8 minutes. Use the back of a wooden spoon to squash several softened blueberries.
- Take off the heat, leave to cool and thicken.
- Whilst you wait for your pancake stack to cook, keep the remainder warm by stacking and topping with foil.
- Dairy free? No problem, swap to milk of preference.