Vegetarian Mexican Sweet Potato Casserole
Mexican Sweet Potato Casserole
My family loves Mexican food and I do make Mexican inspired dishes a couple of times a month. Mexican Quinoa, Taco pasta,Tortilla soup,Refried beans are some of our other favourite dishes along with this cheesy casserole.
This recipe is easy to adapt and made with root vegetables and pantry staple ingredients that have long shelf life like beans, salsa and tomato.
One of the best things about Mexican dishes are the toppings. You can jazz up the dish with some/ all your favourite toppings - sliced avocado, guacamole, sour cream, tortilla chips, coriander leaves and/ or jalapeños.
This cheesy sweet potato casserole is made with layers of salsa, sweet potato, black beans, corn, tomatoes and is finished with cheese. So so good and the portions are generous!
Prep time - 10 minutes
Cook Time - 50 minutes
800g sweet potato, peeled and diced to cubes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
75g frozen corn
280g tomato salsa from the jar
2 tbsp taco seasoning
250g mozzarella cheese, grated
1 medium white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp lime juice
2 Tsp Olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Fresh Jalapeños, sliced
3 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and cook till translucent for 8-10 minutes.
- Now add the diced sweet potato, corn, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, lime juice, salt and pepper to the pan and toss the ingredients together.
- Brush the 40 * 25cm rectangular baking dish with olive oil. Spread 1/2 the medium salsa on the dish.
- Arrange a layer of the sweet potato filling and then with grated cheese.
- Repeat with the layer of the sweet potato filling, remaining salsa and finally with cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with a foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 -15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the sweet potatoes are cooked.
Just before serving, garnish with jalapeños and coriander leaves.
With very little preparation, this dish is perfect to feed the crowd.
Can be made ahead - Assemble the dish a couple of hours before you plan to serve. Cover with a foil and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Storage - Store any left-over sweet potato casserole, covered in the refrigerator for up-to 5 days.