By Katrina Lander - @fitnessfodmap_
When the colder days and nights slowly creep in, there is nothing more I love than starting my day with a warm bowl of porridge. My recipe is quick, easy and uses figs which are in season towards the end of the year.
Kitchen tools needed: Cole & Mason Saunderton Spice Storage Shaker
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
- 50g Gluten free porridge oats
- 1 Tsp chia seeds
- 250ml almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 30g Frozen raspberries
- 1 Heaped tsp flaked almonds
- 1 Tsp peanut butter of choice
- ½ Fresh fig
- 1 Tsp maple syrup (can also use honey)
- Add all porridge ingredients to a small saucepan and turn to a low/medium heat until thickened, stirring throughout - roughly 10 minutes. Put the frozen raspberries aside to start to defrost and create a juice.
- Whilst the porridge heats and thickens, place the flaked almonds into a dry frying pan, over a medium heat until slightly toasted - roughly 5 minutes. Be careful not to leave them as they burn quickly.
- Remove the porridge from the heat once thickened and add to a bowl. Top with the defrosted raspberries, toasted almonds, peanut butter and half a fig. Finish with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Porridge is super versatile, play around with your toppings using different fruits (fresh, dried, and frozen) and nuts or seeds. Adding cacao to your porridge is another great alternative – the list is never ending. If you want to cut down on sugar an easy swap is to use an unsweetened milk of choice.