by Katrina Lander @fitnessfodmap_
Apples and pears are in season in the UK from September to January, which is the perfect time to make the most of both fruits and create a homemade (and super easy) delicious crumble.
My recipe is gluten-free, however you can replace the gluten-free flour with plain flour instead.
Kitchen tools needed: Mixing bowl, ovenproof baking dish
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 300g apples, cored, peeled, and cut into chunks (I used bramley variety)
- 300g pears, peeled and cut into chunks
- 75g light soft brown sugar
- 2 Tsp’s ground cinnamon - Cole & Mason Saunderton Spice Storage Shaker
- 100g diced unsalted butter
- 200g gluten-free plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In a mixing bowl, toss the apples, pear, light soft brown sugar, and 1tsp ground cinnamon. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Place the butter and flour into a mixing bowl, rub the mixture together with your fingertips to create a chunky breadcrumb texture. Stir through the caster sugar and remainder 1tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit, ensuring it’s all covered.
- Bake in the oven for 30/35 minutes or until the crumble has turned a nice golden colour and the fruit juice is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with single cream or ice-cream.
- To make the crumble extra golden and crunchy, finish under the grill for a minute or so.
- You can omit the pears and make the recipe with only apples, just double the portion of apple used in the recipe.