by Dominic Franks from DomInTheKitchen.com @DomInTheKitchen
These little love bites are the perfectly crispy way to add a little tang to your Valentine’s Day and show your loved one just how sweet you think they are! Great as a starter for two or even as a canape idea if you’re throwing a party for everyone you love. They’re also a brilliantly versatile dish that can be made in the air fryer or the oven.
Kitchen tools that could be useful:
You’ll need plenty of freshly ground salt and pepper in these cauliflower love bites so the gorgeous, deep gloss red London Mills would be perfect.
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 - 4
- 1 medium head cauliflower – chopped into bite size chunks
- 90g plain flour
- 180ml half milk / half Greek yoghurt – stirred well
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 150g breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper glaze
- The juice of 3 lemons
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn-starch + 1 teaspoon water, mix together separately from the rest of ingredients in a small bowl for a corn-starch slurry
For the cauliflower love bites:
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C (if using a regular oven then 200C fan / 450F)
- If using a regular oven, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into small bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, milk, salt and pepper and lemon zest to make a batter.
- In a second bowl, place the breadcrumbs.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter mixture using a spatula or spoon to coat them all. Transfer them to the breadcrumbs and coat completely, then place them into your air fryer or onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the air fryer or 25 mins in the oven until gloriously golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by placing all the ingredients into a pan and gently heating whilst you whisk them together.
- Once the cauliflower love bites come out of the air fryer toss them in the sauce, then place them back into the air fryer for a final 5 minutes.
- Garnish them with chopped chives, freshly ground pepper and lemon zest and enjoy!
Make these ahead of time and then place them back into the air fryer for 5 mins on 180C to crisp up!